The autoimmune long-term disorder named as Rheumatoid Arthritis results in painful, warm swollen joints. There are certain foods to avoid with arthritis, such as red meat, processed food, refined flour, sugar, fried foods, gluten, alcohol, etc. It is best to avoid these inflammatory foods if you suffer from Arthritis, or else the symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis would only aggravate. You have to completely cut down on the consumption of refined foods, caffeinated beverages, and sugar to prevent Arthritis from worsening. Here is a list of foods to avoid if you have arthritis.
Common Food Ingredients Known To Trigger Flares and Inflammation
If you are suffering from Arthritis, there are certain arthritis trigger foods, which you should avoid to prevent the development of other chronic problems related to Arthritis, such as obesity, diabetes, heart diseases etc.
- Sugar: This is one of the first foods to avoid with osteoarthritis. The processed sugars are known to release the inflammatory messengers, known as cytokines. Always look for sucrose or fructose in the packaged labels before buying any packaged foods.
- Saturated Fats: Research shows saturated foods trigger the inflammation of the fat tissue which is an important indicator for the heart disease. Saturated fat containing foods are cheese, grain-based desserts, dairy products, pasta and pizza and are thus some of the worst foods for arthritis.
- Trans Fats: Present in the fast food, the trans-fats are known to trigger the systemic inflammation. Trans-fats are present in the fried products, frozen foods, processed foods, donuts, cookies, crackers, stick margarine. Make sure to avoid the foods containing partially hydrogenated oils.
- Omega 6 Fatty Acids: The body should have the right balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for its proper development and growth. Too much of consumption of omega-6 fatty acids trigger the release of the pro-inflammatory chemicals. These types of fatty acids are present in the oils, such as sunflower, corn, safflower, grape seed, peanut, soy, vegetable, peanut, mayonnaise and other salad dressings.
- Refined Carbohydrates: Rolls, bread, crackers and various other white flour products, white potatoes, white rice, cereals are the refined carbohydrates that can trigger arthritic pain and inflammation. The high glycemic index of these foods triggers the production of the advanced glycation and AGE products, which can stimulate an inflammation.
- Mono-Sodium Glutamate (MSG): It is a food additive that is used in Asian cuisine and is used also in the preparation of soups, fast foods, deli meats, salad dressings, soup mixes etc. It triggers the essential pathways for chronic inflammation and affects the liver health.
- Casein and Gluten: Casein and gluten are the common proteins or allergens that are present in wheat and the dairy products. For people suffering from arthritis along with dairy intolerance and celiac disease due to gluten allergy, arthritic inflammation can be worse in them. Foods that contain gluten are rye, barley, and wheat and casein are present in the whey protein.
- Aspartame: This is an artificial non-nutritive sweetener present in a host of food items, such as jellies, jams, ice-cream, fruit spreads, iced tea, pudding etc. If you are sensitive to this chemical, it can trigger an inflammatory response on reaction with a foreign substance.
Foods to Avoid with Arthritis
By avoiding certain food that causes arthritis in fingers, you can relieve the pain and swelling of your fingers. Swollen fingers can be due to the intake of sodium and therefore to get relief, you have to reduce the consumption of processed meat, frozen meals, pizza, canned food, smoked meats, fast foods, etc.
Thus to get relief from pain and inflammation, these are the foods to avoid with arthritis.