Most of the people struggling with their weight find it difficult to choose a diet and an exercise plan that is best for them. It can be quite overwhelming to find options to keep weight off forever, especially when there is an overload of information regarding fad diet and workout plans. However, apart from a perfect diet and an exercise plan, you also need to understand the basic approach to losing weight. To hit the goal, you need to make some permanent lifestyle changes. Check out some of the ways to lose weight off forever.
Get Started with the Way of Life
- You need to change your perception. Try not to think about it as a diet and exercise plan. Instead, try shifting the way you see your newly made routine. All you need is a healthy nutrition and an active lifestyle.
- Get rid of all the bad food in your fridge, pantry, cabinets etc. Replace temptation foods such as candy, chips, ice cream with healthier options like fruits, whole grains, and yogurt.
- If you are finding it difficult to shift your overall routine, try doing it one-step at a time. Add gradual changes such as switch your dishes in each meal, or working out twice a week.
- You need to be patient. Remember that weight loss is a natural thing and it does not happen overnight. Do not get discouraged. It takes time to lose weight. Giving up early is the worst thing you can do. The right way to lose weight is losing about 1-2 pounds a week. This may seem slow, but you should make it as a part of your overall lifestyle and look for steady weight loss. This would help you to consistently lose weight. It would be better to preserve your health in the long-run.
- It is high time that you pay attention to what you eat. Try not to eat your meals blindly. Indulge in mindful eating to make yourself aware of the number of calories you eat and enjoy your food more.
- Create a support network of people to encourage you to tackle your nutrition and exercise challenges.
Exercise and Stay Fit
- One of the best ways to keep weight off forever is to incorporate strength training thrice a week, with a rest day in between. Mix up your routine with stationary lunges, walking lunges, sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, body weight squats, deadlifts, plank-ups etc.
- Indulge in some cardio on the rest days. Run on a treadmill, or elliptical machines, and join a spin class.
- Combine your workout with HIIT, high-intensity interval training.
- Start going to cardio or weight training classes. You can also try a Zumba class if you are a dance lover.
- A tight schedule does not leave much room for working out. In that case, do it when you can. Ask your friends to go workout at the gym instead of going out for drinks after office hours.
- Try eating the right breakfast. Eat a sensible breakfast packed with protein, whole grains, and fruits to keep you fuller throughout the day and help to boost your metabolism.
- One of the best ways to keep weight off forever is choosing a balanced lunch and dinner. Try combining protein-rich foods such as beans, nuts, chicken, fish, and lean meats with fiber-rich foods such as whole grains and vegetables.
- Eat healthy snacks between the meals. Aim for having two snacks a day during the time you find yourself the most hungry. For example, carrot sticks, a small wrap, apple with two tablespoons of almond butter etc.
- Try to ass more veggies to your diet. Vegetables such as spinach, kale, avocado, carrots, turnips etc. are rich in fiber, potassium, and essential nutrients that can help you lose weight.
- While eating natural fat options like meats and oils is good for you, you should try to avoid fat-free option such as dairy-based products other than milk.
- Try cutting out drinks loaded with calories. Replace your sugary sodas with water and your latte with regular coffee or tea. Add skim milk rather than adding cream. You can also use no calorie sweeteners like stevia.
- Avoid pre-packaged and processed foods and try to cook at home as frequent as possible.
- Replace your junk snacks such as candies, chips, and desserts with healthy options such as nuts, nut butter, raisins, dark chocolate, fresh fruits etc.
- Do not punish yourself by not having the foods you love. The strategy is eat in moderation.
Studies show that around 80% of the people who lose weight gain it right back. Follow these tips to keep weight off forever for a healthy and a better tomorrow.