Mental health and emotional well-being are as important as your physical health and are the important aspects of your overall health. Medical conditions such as anxiety, stress, and depression can affect your mental health. Lifestyle habits and environmental factors are also equally responsible to maintain your emotional health. Your mental health has a huge impact on your life, your relationships, how you think and act, how you make your decisions, and how you deal with difficult situations or stress. Here we are providing you with a compact list of some lifestyle changes to boost your mental health.
Cope with Stress
- Eat well and try to have a properly balanced diet loaded protein, fiber, essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Eat foods that help boost mental health such as tea, bananas, whole grains, avocados, nuts, fatty fish, yogurt etc. Eating junk foods and indulging in overeating may have a negative impact on your weight, mood, and self-confidence. Try to limit your alcohol and caffeine content.
- Exercise is one of the best ways to improve mental health. Exercising can relieve tensed muscles. You can also indulge in activities such as meditation, yoga, walking, dancing, or sports that can get your heart pumping.
- Getting enough sleep is equally important to manage stress. It is a rest button that helps your body to repair and brain to unwind. Set a sleeping schedule and maintain it every day without fail. For a good mental health, try to get at least 6-8 hours of sleep each night.
- Focus on the present moment and practice mindful meditation. Try to meditate at least for 30 minutes every day. Take deep breaths and pay attention to your thoughts.
- Stay outdoors and enjoy the sun. Sunlight produces a mood-enhancing chemical, serotonin. Also, high levels of oxygen will give you a better mental focus and clarity.
Build Your Self-Esteem
- Try to be optimistic and question your inner critic. Self-doubt can make you feel depressed and stressed out. When in such situation, try asking yourself, ‘Is this thought real?’
- Try focusing on your strengths. It can help you get through the challenges of life. When you have confidence and value your strengths, it can remind you of the fact that how capable you are.
- Try practicing self-affirmation. You can do this by writing down your thoughts about yourself such as your attributes, or things you admire about yourself.
- Take some time for yourself and manage negative emotions. Go for a walk, listen to music, talk to a friend or engage in an activity you love. This can be one of the best life-changing strategies that you can adopt for a healthy mental state.
- Keep a track of your moods and behaviors. It can help you in recognizing and analyzing the warning signs of stress, depression, and anxiety.
Maintain Healthy Relationships
- Social support can be extremely important as it can help you feel secure and accepted. Giving trust and respect, listening and giving space to the other person are some of the components that you should look for a healthy relationship.
- Try recognizing the features and indications of an unhealthy and abusive relationship. Look whether the other person is purposefully embarrassing you, being overly critical, ignoring you, controlling you, or exhibiting temper and jealousy. These behaviors suggest an unhealthy relationship.
- Once you understand to differentiate between a healthy and an unhealthy relationship, take some time and analyze the behaviors of your friends in your social circle. Find out which relationships are supportive and which are abusive. Try spending more time with those friends who support you.
- It is not only about the others, you also need to make changes to your behaviors for maintaining healthy relationships. When you are expressing your needs, try to be receptive to other’s needs as well. You cannot expect everybody to be like the way you are. Accept these differences. Learn to compromise and practice empathy.
There is a strong connection between your body and mind. Apart from nutrition and habits, there is a huge impact of lifestyle on mental health. Try incorporating these lifestyle changes to boost your mental health and emotional well-being.