Walking is one of the most simple, cost-effective, and super-accessible ways to lose weight. Walking is more important when you have a lifestyle that keeps you stick to a desk. Walking not only help you in burning daily calories but also it is one of the most effective ways to reduce your stress levels. Less stress means an easier weight loss. It is important for you to know some facts associated with walking if you are opting for walking to lose weight. Let us discuss how much walking you need to lose weight and some of the easy techniques that would provide an extra edge to your walking routine.
The weight of your body and the walking pace determines the number of calories you burn. On an approximate, if you walk at a common pace of about 4 miles per hour, you can roughly burn around 400 calories per hour. On an average, a person needs to take about 2,000 steps per mile. Therefore, to lose one pound per week, a person needs to take 10,000 steps per day. If you are trying to lose belly fat by walking, one of the best things you can do is incorporate some ideas to fit your walking schedule into your busy day.
- Get off your bus or cab two stops early and walk the rest of the way to your office or home.
- Instead of taking a cab or bus, try walking to the station.
- Park your car away from your office and walk that extra distance.
- Make use of your office corridor. Take mini breaks from the work and try to walk as frequent as possible.
- Avoid using lifts and elevators. Instead, take the stairs.
How to Make your Walk Interesting?
- Choosing the right equipment is very important (unless you walk on the beach). Choose walking shoes that have flexible soles and stiff heel counters that can help in preventing side-to-side motion.
- Instead of a long stretch, opt for three 20-minute walks per day. The mechanism is as simple as having mini meals throughout the day.
- Try to walk uphill thrice a week. You might have noticed that your heart beat increases and you tend to get exhausted more while walking on an elevated path. This is due to more muscle build up that increases your metabolic rate. Try to lean forward and walk in a slow pace while walking uphill.
- Try to focus on swinging your arms often. The arm movement while walking can help you in burning more calories and building your core and shoulder strength.
- Make variations to your walking pace and take one-minute interval breaks in between. It can enhance the calories burning by 20%.
- The benefits of walking get even more effective when it is combined with some bodyweight exercises. Stop after walking for a while and perform inclined push-ups on a park bench or 15-20 squats or do some walking lunges etc.
- Try to change your track. Walking on the same old track can become boring after a certain point of time. Changing walking tracks can be interesting as you can switch things around.
- You can mix up your routine by inviting a family member or friends to accompany you while walking.
- Drinking green tea after walking can help you in recovering faster after a brisk walk.
- Keep yourself dehydrated. Pack a water bottle and some almonds so that you can snack on anytime you feel hungry.
- Make an awesome walking playlist. Having a great list of soundtracks can motivate you to go farther and push harder. It can also save you from getting bored if you do not have a partner.
If you are choosing the path of walking to lose weight and burn those belly fat, you should consult your healthcare provider to assure whether you are healthy and fit to participate in the activity. Once it is done, start walking 3 days per week for 20 minutes and gradually increase the frequency.